Last week, as I stepped into this bed to turn on the hose, I noticed something a little off with the fence between my garden and my neighbor's. When I took a closer look, I discovered that a lengthy stretch of the fence was leaning in my direction.
My neighbor and I discussed the matter via e-mail and agreed that my contractor Brent should take a look and recommend how to proceed. Brent discovered that the fence posts on the neighbor's side were rotting away and the fence was in imminent danger of falling over on my garden, so his first recommendation was that we install some bracing to keep it from doing so. Rather than installing a completely new fence, we've determined that we can dig new holes near the old posts and install new posts, then attach the fence to those.
The only plant casualty has been the neighbor's redtip photinias, which have already been cut down to stubs so the fencing crew can work around them. The Head Gardener and I will leave it our readers to decide how we feel about that.